Troubled Buildings

A building can be a problem whether it is vacant or occupied. Complaints involving occupied buildings are usually along the lines of building code violations or police-related issues. If you are having a problem with your landlord, you may want to call the Metropolitan Tenant’s Organization at (773) 292-4980 for free legal consultation. If your issue is urgent or an emergency, you should call 911.

Vacant buildings are not only a nuisance, but are unsightly and can cause public safety issues. The economic and foreclosure crises a few years ago created a lot of abandoned buildings in the city. Alderman Dowell introduced the Vacant Buildings Ordinance that makes banks and lenders assume ownership responsibilities for their real estate owned properties. In other words, if they are foreclosing on a property, they must keep it secured and address any violations.

Troubled buildings can be reported by calling 311 or by completing Alderman Dowell’s Service Request Form below. For more urgent issues (i.e. the building is near a school or has drug/gang activity), you should call Robert Elchert at (773) 373-9273 or e-mail Alderman Dowell’s office will work with the Department of Buildings, the City’s Legal Department, the Police, and lenders to secure buildings as quickly as possible.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone (required)



Building Status

If building is occupied, what are the issues?

Building Address

More Info

Captcha Image
To use CAPTCHA, you need Really Simple CAPTCHA plugin installed.

Captcha Text (Type the Characters Above)